Monday, March 11, 2024



Mothers’ Day 2024 

In the cut-out squares, pinked, so unfrayed 

perfect

top left the sun at dawn 

gilding the layered land. 

Next the gift of tulips, purple, not yet languid 

a swarm of tiny bees, mimosa flowers 

then Lily’s memory of games we played 

tea party in the fig tree (hidden) 

Next row left to right, too-early blossom 

plum and almond, bridal white, 

Bee’s message to her mum, love letter 

my mum, laughing. 

Along the bottom, blessings 

peaceful hours, log fire, the satisfaction of squares 

complex pattern, dark and light 

friends loved and lost. 

Patchwork pieces, a one day, Sunday 

legacy of loveliness. 

March 11th 2024, Hounoux 

2 comments:

  1. Lovely reflections and images now attached to your crochet on Mothering Sunday. I can imagine how many lovely memories can flow in the thread as you hook, pull through and create. Thank you Sally, Jude xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely to read your comment after so long when you just weren’t allowed access Jude! I was all day thinking about memories and love. For some reason- one year on I suppose/ I woke up thinking of beloved Sue. Then Lily sent me a memory of her childhood with me and of course the wonderful letter from Bee to her mum. I have used the metaphor of a patchwork before in my poems. It is so accurate often for how life melds into a pattern and a whole. Xx

    ReplyDelete